Grilled Peach Gazpacho
Keep the cooking outside of the house and enjoy cool, fresh flavors in the heat of summer.
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- 1 pound of tomatoes
- 1 pound of peaches
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup Japanese cucumber
- 1 cup of croutons
- Tapatío hot sauce or smoked paprika to taste
- 1/2 cup piquillo peppers and some more for garnish
- 15 - 20 small basil leaves for garnish
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Black pepper and kosher salt to taste
Chop shallot and let sit in 1-1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar for at least 5 minutes. Peel and chop tomatoes. Grill, pit and chop peaches. Toast almonds. Peel and chop Japanese cucumber. Seed and chop piquillo peppers. Reserve small amount of almonds, peaches, tomatoes, peppers and croutons for garnish.
Purée tomatoes, cucumbers, almonds, croutons, peppers, peaches, shallots, olive oil, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, salt and pepper in a blender until very smooth. Force liquids through a medium-mesh sieve and into a large bowl, discarding solids. Stir in water to desired consistency.
Chill mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to allow the flavors to marry. Serve in a chilled bowl and garnish with basil, chopped almonds, chopped peaches, chopped peppers, croutons and droplets of olive oil.