This light and delicious ceviche comes to us from Tony Salcido, a PCFMA staff member.
- 1 pound bay scallops, shrimp, or other seafood
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, unseeded
- 1 to 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- Juice of 8 to 10 limes, enough to cover the seafood
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 to 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped last
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice limes in a bowl. Add raw scallops or other seafood. Make sure lime juice covers the fish. Refrigerate overnight. The lime juice "cooks" the seafood and it will become opaque the next day.
Pour off half the lime juice, leave other half to mix with remaining ingredients. Prepare vegetables, except for avocado. Combine all ingredients with seafood, adding chopped avocado last to avoid browning. Mix gently and place in the refrigerator to chill.
Serve in chilled bowls or cups with tortilla chips.
Substitute your favorite fish or combine a mix like scallops and shrimp, chunks of tilapia or cod.
Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.