If you believe the quality, taste, and nutrition of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables are unmatched and should be accessible to all Bay Area residents, then PCFMA is the place for you! The oldest and largest organization of our kind, we connect San Francisco Bay Area residents with the people who grow their food.
The role of the Direct Marketing Coordinator is to support the mission of PCFMA by helping to ensure that the producers participating in PCFMA farmers’ markets are selling products of their own production and are producing product in a safe and clean manner. In addition, the Direct Marketing Coordinator will strive to strengthen the relationship between PCFMA and the producers in its markets and help educate Direct Marketing staff on the products in their markets.
The Direct Marketing Coordinator - Production Inspector shall inspect farms of farmers participating in PCFMA farmers’ markets, assess the farms, record their assessment, and report the information they collected to the PCFMA Leadership staff. They will report directly to the Direct Marketing Director in the capacity of farm inspections and visits.
The Direct Marketing Coordinator may report to a Regional Manager in the capacity of a Market Manager. The role of Market Manager requires serving as the on-site manager for assigned Certified Farmers’ Markets to ensure the markets operate in compliance with state law, health codes and organizational rules. A Market Manager also completes office duties related to planning, record-keeping and correspondence for the market.
• Inspect production sites and sales sites of PCFMA producers to ensure compliance with PCFMA Rules & Regulations as well as state laws and regulations.
• Inspect PCFMA farmers’ markets, and farms and production facilities of producers participating in PCFMA farmers’ markets
• Recommend to Director of Direct Marketing additional inspections of farms and productions or disciplinary actions regarding producers due to inspection results
• Recommend changes to PCFMA Rules and Regulations and internal processes.
• Report, record and archive all information gathered during inspections
• Make recommendations for further action to be taken as a result of the inspections
• Train and support Direct Marketing staff regarding identifying, evaluating and documenting agricultural products in farmers’ markets
• Stay current on PCFMA policies, laws, regulations, and regulatory practices regarding farmers’ markets, farms, and other farmers’ market producers
• Manage a farmers’ market as needed in the role of a Market Manager , meeting all the requirements of that position as needed
• Represent PCFMA to farmers and food producers during inspections, answering questions about PCFMA and sharing feedback from producers with staff
• Communicate and develop relationships with other farmers’ market associations, county and state regulatory agents on an ongoing basis
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Well organized and detail oriented
• Precise data entry and inventory skills
• Strong initiative to start projects and see them through to completion
• Objective and thorough observer
• Capacity to gather information from multiple sources and people
One or more of the following:
Degree or education in agriculture
Training in farming practices and techniques
Knowledge of farming practices through hands-on experience
Experience as a farmers’ market manager
Specific knowledge in the following areas:
What – Knowledge of produce and varieties
Where – Where different crops should and shouldn’t grow well
When – Seasonality of crops & crop varieties
How – What practices are being used to grow particular crops
Ability to speak languages other than English that are commonly spoken by California farmers (Spanish, Hmong, Tagalog) is desired
• This position requires the employee to work outdoors in various weather conditions
• This position requires the employee to work in an office environment
• This position requires the inspection of farm production sites which may require walking over uneven surfaces
• This position requires travel to farm and food production locations throughout the state
• This position requires the employee to be a licensed driver with a safe driving record
• This position requires weekend work and may require early morning or late evening work
• This position requires the employee to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. in and out of a vehicle, to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. off the ground, and to be able to lift up to 20 lbs. over their head
• This is an exempt, full-time, year-round position
• Full-time employees with PCFMA are eligible for enrollment in an employer-paid health insurance plan and a 401(k) retirement plan with employer-matching contributions, subject to waiting periods and vesting
A Market Manager with the Pacific Coast Farmers’ Market Association, working under the direction of a Regional Manager, serves as the on-site manager for assigned Certified Farmers’ Markets to ensure the markets operate in compliance with state law, health codes and organizational rules. The Market Manager also completes office duties related to planning, record-keeping and correspondence for the market.
The role of the market manager is to take ownership of the functions and relationships that constitute the markets they operate. This is accomplished through the creation and management of business plan for their market, of supportive communication with the producers in their markets, and of outreach to the communities surrounding their markets.
Specific job duties include:
• Act as an on-site manager for one or more weekly Certified Farmers’ Markets.
• Ensure markets operate in compliance with state law, health regulations and association rules and regulations.
• Ensure the set-up, operation and shut-down of farmers’ markets is completed to PCFMA’s standards.
• Ensure the market site is clean at the end of each market day.
• Collect payment from farmers and other participating producers at the end of each market day, complete logs and reports and make bank deposits.
• Provide customer service to consumers at the market by establishing and staffing a market information booth.
• Communicate with farmers’ market sponsors to understand, and when possible to address, their operational concerns, and inform regional manager of all sponsor communications.
• Work with farmers and other vendors to respond to questions and concerns.
• Assist in recruiting farmers and other producers to participate in the market
• Assist in hosting market events as directed.
• Perform planning, record-keeping, correspondence and other office activities to support the market and the organization.
• Meet company guidelines for attendance and punctuality
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
• Experience with Certified Farmers’ Markets or California agriculture desired.
• Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Ability to work in a team-environment.
• First-aid certification (Certification must be completed within first 30 days of employment if not current at hire date.)
• This position requires the employee to work in an office environment and outside in all weather conditions.
• This position requires the employee to interact with the general public.
• This position requires the employee to be able to lift equipment in and out of a vehicle, to lift equipment off the ground, and to be able to lift items over his/her head.
• This position requires the employee to be a licensed driver with a safe driving record, and have reliable transportation (due to the location and timing of some markets, public transportation is not appropriate).
• This position may require some weekend work and may require early morning work or late evening work.
• This is a non-exempt, year-round, full-time position.
• Full-time employees with PCFMA are eligible for enrollment in an employer-paid health insurance plan and a 401(k) retirement plan with employer-matching contributions, subject to waiting periods and vesting.