If you believe the quality, taste, and nutrition of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables are unmatched and should be accessible to all Bay Area residents, then PCFMA is the place for you! The oldest and largest organization of our kind, we connect San Francisco Bay Area residents with the people who grow their food.
A Market Manager with the Pacific Coast Farmers’ Market Association, working under the direction of a Regional Manager, serves as the on-site manager for assigned Certified Farmers’ Markets to ensure the markets operate in compliance with state law, health codes and organizational rules. The Market Manager also completes office duties related to planning, record-keeping and correspondence for the market.
The role of the market manager is to take ownership of the functions and relationships that constitute the markets they operate. This is accomplished through the creation and management of business plan for their market, of supportive communication with the producers in their markets, and of outreach to the communities surrounding their markets.
Specific job duties include:
• Act as an on-site manager for one or more weekly Certified Farmers’ Markets.
• Ensure markets operate in compliance with state law, health regulations and association rules and regulations.
• Ensure the set-up, operation and shut-down of farmers’ markets is completed to PCFMA’s standards.
• Ensure the market site is clean at the end of each market day.
• Collect payment from farmers and other participating producers at the end of each market day, complete logs and reports and make bank deposits.
• Provide customer service to consumers at the market by establishing and staffing a market information booth.
• Communicate with farmers’ market sponsors to understand, and when possible to address, their operational concerns, and inform regional manager of all sponsor communications.
• Work with farmers and other vendors to respond to questions and concerns.
• Assist in recruiting farmers and other producers to participate in the market
• Assist in hosting market events as directed.
• Perform planning, record-keeping, correspondence and other office activities to support the market and the organization.
• Meet company guidelines for attendance and punctuality
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
• Experience with Certified Farmers’ Markets or California agriculture desired.
• Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Ability to work in a team-environment.
• First-aid certification (Certification must be completed within first 30 days of employment if not current at hire date.)
• This position requires the employee to work in an office environment and outside in all weather conditions.
• This position requires the employee to interact with the general public.
• This position requires the employee to be able to lift equipment in and out of a vehicle, to lift equipment off the ground, and to be able to lift items over his/her head.
• This position requires the employee to be a licensed driver with a safe driving record, and have reliable transportation (due to the location and timing of some markets, public transportation is not appropriate).
• This position may require some weekend work and may require early morning work or late evening work.
• This is a non-exempt, year-round, full-time position.
• Full-time employees with PCFMA are eligible for enrollment in an employer-paid health insurance plan and a 401(k) retirement plan with employer-matching contributions, subject to waiting periods and vesting.