Mia's Potato Latkes
Traditional Hanukkah fare, these are good all year long!
- 3-4 large Russet potatoes (about
- 1 1/2-2 pounds), scrubbed and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 large onion (8 ounces), peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup matzo meal or unseasoned fine bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon fine sea salt), plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Safflower or other oil, for frying
Grate potatoes and onion and mix together
Squeeze as much moisture out of the mixture as you can
Mix in all other ingredients except oil
Heat about 1/2’ oil in big skillet, preferably cast iron. Keep adding oil as you cook the whole batch.
Fry big spoonfuls of potato mixture like pancakes, flattening, then frying on each side until golden. Make them about 4-5” wide.
Serve with applesauce and sour cream.