Homemade Dill Pickles
Save the taste of summer in a jar. Make your own dill pickles with this easy recipe.
- 16 to 18 good sized pickling cucumbers
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 5 tablespoons pickling salt
- 16 garlic cloves, 2 per jar
- 16 small sprigs fresh dill, 2 per jar
- 4 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 4 dried chili peppers, seeded (optional), 1/2 for each jar
- 8 pint canning jars, lids, and rings
In a large pot, combine water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a simmer. Sterilize 8 pint jars in boiling water for a few minutes. Arrange on the counter and evenly divide spices, garlic, and optional chili peppers in each jar.
Slice off blossom ends of each pickle. Slice pickles into halves or quarters. Keep on ice until ready to stuff jars. Firmly pack pickles into each jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Carefully pour hot vinegar mixture into each jar up to 1/2 inch below rim of jar. Use a butter knife and slide it down the inside of each jar to remove any air bubbles
Add sterilized lids and rings and process in boiling water for 10 minutes in water bath canner. Remove from canner and let cool on the counter. Listen for the lids to pop. Store in a cool, dark cupboard for up to 9 months.