Olive Oil Braised Vegetables
Italian grandmother's and chefs have known for a long time that cooking vegetables past being done brings out their inherent sweetness. Here is a recipe for you to try this technique at home.
READY IN 60 MIN
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 lemon, ends trimmed, thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into florets, stalk cut into large pieces
- ½ medium head cauliflower, cut into florets, stalk cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of drained and washed capers
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
Put the olive oil, capers, chile flakes, rosemary, and lemon slices in a 6-qt. Dutch oven. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and the lemon slices are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower to the pot and stir once or twice to coat in oil. Cook, covered, without stirring, until the vegetables begin to brown and soften, about 30 minutes. Stir vegetables gently, replace the lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low; cook until the vegetables are very soft and tender, about 60 minutes more. Remove the vegetables from the heat, and stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper.