New Potato and Purslane Salad
True new potatoes are potatoes that are harvested fresh in the spring, and have not been aged or dried. New potatoes have unformed peels and tastes intensely of the earth. Purslane is a pesky weed to some and a tasty, tangy green to others. High in omega 3’s it can be eaten raw or cooked.
READY IN 30 MIN
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Quality vinegar or lemon juice to taste
- 12 small new potatoes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1/4 pound purslane, cleaned with the thick stems removed
- 1 small shallot, minced fine and soaked in vinegar for ten minutes
Bring a medium saucepan and the potatoes of salted water to a boil. Check often with a fork to test softness. When cooked, drain and let cool. In a large bowl toss the potatoes, purslane and the minced shallots with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Dress with quality olive oil and vinegar. Serve immediately.