Frog Hollow Crimson Salad
Here's a recipe we created using Frog Hollow Farm's awesome assortment of plums. From their speckled skinned Dapple Dandy pluots to their sweet and spicy toned Flavor Kings, Frog Hollow's plums are at their seasonal peak and their sugar and acid development is off the charts.
We added sumac to the dressing for its sour and puckering quality to balance the sweetness from the plums and raspberries. We also added some quinoa to for added crunch and texture. The creamy richness of the goat cheese rounds out all the flavorful spikes to create a perfectly balanced salad that compliments each other’s personalities.
- 8 oz. of any red leafed greens (we used an heirloom variety red spinach)
- ½ cup raspberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup of mixed variety plums with red skin or flesh, sliced into quarters
- 1/3 cup of red quinoa, cooked and cooled
- ½ small burgundy onion sliced thin and macerated in red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup of goat cheese crumbled
- Olive and red wine vinegar to taste
- Sumac to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix gently and serve on chilled plates.