French Country Soup
Richard Preyer and Peggy Einzig submitted this delicious recipe for the My PCFMA Plate Recipe Contest, August, 2016.
READY IN 55 MIN
• 1 Tbs. olive oil
• 1 white onion, medium
• 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 4 carrots diagonally chopped
• 3 medium red potatoes diced 3/4 inch chunks
• 5 blades celery diced 3/4 inch diagonally chopped
• 3 pounds (pods) fava beans
• 3 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
Season with Herbs de province and sprinkling of anise, salt and pepper to taste
Remove fava beans from their long pods. Boil the beans in 6 cups salted water for 5 minutes then immediately put the beans in ice cold water. Peal the outer shell off each bean by pinching the darkened eye.
In large deep pan sauté onions in olive oil until translucent, add carrots, potatoes, celery, add spices, and continue to cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally add twice shelled fava beans, mushrooms and chicken stock.
Bring to slow boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer (mijoter) for 45 minutes. Take off heat let stand 5 minutes, and serve.