Flash Pickled Carrots
Dig this super easy is no-canning flash pickling recipe. The carrots will be good up to a month in your fridge.
- 1/2 pound true baby carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and in their jackets
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 small hot chili or red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Tarragon to taste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half. Cut shallots into half-moon cuts. Add the garlic and shallots, along with the coriander seed, chili, peppercorns, tarragon and bay leaf. Put the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minute. Remove from the heat and pour over the carrots. Cool completely at room temperature, cover, and refrigerate.