Best Picks: The Luscious O'Henry Peach
There are more than 2,000 peach varieties throughout the world, but here in California, late August is the time to pick up some O'Henry peaches. This late summer peach is a sensory delight with a sweet juicy flavor, a deep orange red outer skin with peaking tones of orange underneath, and inner flesh of light orange streaked with red and with a smooth texture. The skin has less fuzz and can be eaten without peeling. It is a favorite of many peach lovers because of its slightly acidic sweetness, without the cloying heavy sweetness of some varieties of peaches.
- Salad: Peel, pit, and toss with spinach, pecans, mild goat cheese, and a light vinaigrette.
- Grill: Toss pitted peach halves on the grill for about 5 to 10 minutes, serve with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream for a fresh dessert.
- Can It: Get out the canning jars and fill with peeled peach quarters in very light syrup. Enjoy a taste of summer in the cold winter months!
- Mixed Fruit: Toss with other late summer fruits such as berries, plums, and grapes. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice (to avoid fruit discoloration) and just a touch of sugar or honey.
- Peach Pie! And last but not least, make a peach pie! Get out the family cookbook and fill that pie shell with luscious O'Henry peaches!