5 Ways to Enjoy Sweet Summer Corn
Posted July 31, 2017
Corn, wonderful sweet corn. There are so many ways to prepare fresh corn. Farmers' markets bring you fresh sweet corn from the fields in Brentwood and surrounding areas. Here are some delicious ways to enjoy this summer treat.
- GRILL: This is the easiest, simplest, and most enjoyable way to eat summer corn. Remove husk and silk. Wrap cobs loosely in foil (add a few dabs of butter if you like). Place on the grill for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- CORN SALAD: Great for picnics. Just remove corn from cob, toss with chopped veggies of your choice - red and green bell peppers, zucchini, red onion, tomatoes, or other veggies. Add sliced olives and chives, and toss with vinaigrette. Chill and enjoy.
- JALAPENO CORNBREAD: Another favorite. Take any traditional cornbread recipe and add finely chopped jalapeños and, if you like, some finely chopped red bell pepper for a colorful side dish.
- CORN CAKES: Great as a quick easy side dish. Crisp and creamy, these are a real treat.
- CORN WITH FRESH HERBS: Fresh summer herbs are the best and when paired with sweet summer corn, they're awesome. Sauté corn with chopped onion for a few minutes. Add fresh chopped chives, sage, oregano, and a bit of salt and pepper. Sauté quickly and serve hot.