5 Best Picks at the Farmers' Market This Week
The summer season is arriving quickly in Northern California. Due to the drought, many products are appearing at the farmers' market two to three weeks early. The best seasonal produce, the newest tasty finds, the greatest flavors this week include:
1. Raspberries: Newly arrived at your farmers' market, succulent and sweet raspberries come in both red and gold, both delicious. Add to spinach salads, toss in cereals, make a raspberry dessert, or blend into sauces and smoothies.
2. Spring Greens: Greens are amazing right now. Green leaf, red leaf, Romaine, and butter lettuce, and mixed salad greens can all be found at the market now. What a perfect way to introduce a big spring salad to your recipe repertoire! Toss with raspberries and blueberries, nuts, and goat cheese -yummy!
3. Apricots: An early sign that summer is fast approaching, apricots are one of the first stone fruits to appear at market (along with cherries); tasty sweet this time of year, lending themselves to canning and preserving, cooking in sauces, and stuffing into lunch boxes.
4. Squash Blossoms: These don't stick around for long, so pick up a big container and stuff with cheese, or saute and mix in a frittata, or add to a veggie quesadilla. They have a delicate squash flavor that goes well with lighter dishes.
5. Fresh Herbs: Summer herbs are now at the market. You'll find everything from basil, chives, cilantro, and parsley, to more exotic Asian herbs like lemongrass, mustard greens, amaranth, and more. The late spring leaves are extra tender and more delicate in flavor. Add to pastas, soups and stews, vinaigrette, and more. Try Ashley's Spring Salad this week. Check next week for what's new and tasty at the farmers' market. Try some of the products mentioned and learn to cook with them as the seasons progress. Life's short - try something new!