Zucchini Quinoa Patties
Joanne Izumizaki, third place winner of the 2016 recipe contest, submitted this recipe.
READY IN 25 MIN
4 medium zucchini, grated (3 cups)
1 teaspoon salt (divided)
½ cup quinoa
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup grated jack cheese
½ teaspoon thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup walnuts, chopped
½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place grated zucchini in large bowl or strainer. Toss with ½ teas salt and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Then using large handfuls, squeeze water from zucchini. Repeat process again with another ½ teas salt.
- While zucchini is sitting, cook quinoa; bring 1 cup water or chicken broth to boil in small sauce pan, add quinoa, reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 10-14 minutes until white or until grains are tender and white germ ring is visible around the outside of grains. The water should be mostly absorbed.
- In mixing bowl, combine zucchini, quinoa, cheeses, eggs, thyme, garlic, nuts and pepper.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Scoop (with ice cream scoop or small handfuls) the zucchini mixture into pan, squash down to about ½ inch thick.
- Cook for about 4-6 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve as a side dish or in your favorite bun or English muffin